Living green- locally grown produce

I'm currently reading Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", and quite impressed by it. I strive to balance living green and living comfortably (which is not always an easy line to walk)- I bus to and from work, I recycle like a madwoman, I unplug unused electronic devices and am adament about conserving water and turning off lights, etc. I try to buy green products where I can, and make use of everything that I own.

However, bizarrely, I have neglected to live green through my food. I do belong to a CSA (community-supported agriculture), but I supplement that with regular trips to the grocery store. Amazingly, when I started doing research I discovered that nearly 98% of the fruits, veggies, meat, and wheat products that I buy come from outside my own state, despite WA having several resources for all of these products. Well, that just won't do!

So from now on I will be buying my fruit, veggies, and meat through the local farmer's markets (which incidentally, and amping up in the next 3 weeks). I am still looking for a good local source for flours (any Seattlites out there have a good suggestion for this?). I highly recommend you read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and educate yourself about the impact of farming and food shipping these days. The way Kingsolver describes the locally-grown produce makes my mouth water.

Right now, veggie stands are just crawling out of winter, but in a month they will begin truly blossoming, with all those things we love, in abundance. Do yourself a five-senses favor and take a trip to the local farmers market. Gaze at, hold, smell, and taste the products. I guarantee your body will thank you.

And I do, too. :)

Labels: ,