Break out the thinking caps, kids

It's that time again! November approaches and with it, National Novel Writing Month. If you've always wanted to write a novel but never had the time, here's your chance.

NaNoWriMo presents a simple challenge: write a 50,000 word novel (approximately 175 pages) in the 30 days of November. It may sound intimidating, but it's easier than you think. And very, very rewarding. In addition to having a full-length novel by the end of it, you'll also have higher self-confidence in your abilities, a mastery of time management, and a greater appreciation for sleep.

How does one begin this odyssey of authoring? I recommend popping over to http://www.nanowrimo.org/ and/or picking up Chris Baty's "No Plot? No Problem!", which was the book that began it all. There you will find tips and tricks and plenty of encouragement.
This will be my fifth year of NaNoWriMo, and I highly encourage ALL would-be writers of any type to try their hand at it. If you stick with it, I promise, the rewards are very sweet indeed.

I'll be keeping this blog updated with my progress as I take the trek, yet again, myself. I'm still brainstorming what I want to write (WriMos are not allowed to do any research or plotting until 14 days before the start of November...so put down those pencils until Sunday Oct 18th!). Right now it's between a modern adaptation of Jane Eyre (or something else as gothic), an historic drama to tie into all the research I've been doing for costuming, or whatever else catches my fancy this month. I'd like to have a plan, since the past few years my plot has come to me on Nov 1st.

And for brainstorming and plotting help, once we get to that time, I recommend trying out the Snowflake Method, developed by Randy Ingermanson.

Labels: ,