Improvised Casserole

Scotsman made salisbury steak-like things for dinner last night, and we ended up having some of the ground beef leftover. And we all know leftovers mean a creative challenge! I noodled up this improvised casserole dish, a bit Italian, a bit Mexican,and filled with stuff in the fridge that needed eating.

So I took the leftover ground beef (mixed with sauteed onions and peppers already) and browned and drained it.
In a separate bowl, I mixed 2 cans of undrained diced tomatoes with 1 cup water, some salt, and some pepper to make a sauce base for it.

I stirred together 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni, a 10 oz packet of thawed chopped spinach, and the beef mixture. I combined the sauce with everything else and mixed until it looked thoroughly bizarre. Then I spooned it into a casserole pan.

I sprinkled the mixture with 1/2 cup Parmesan bread crumbs and some salsa.
Then I covered the dish with tinfoil and baked it at 350 for 70 minutes. Just to be sure, I uncovered and baked it a final 10 minutes before pulling it out to consume.
And just like that, used up some leftover beef, salsa, diced onion/peppers, bread crumbs, and the frozen spinach Scotsman made faces about. Yay!

Labels: ,