On My Plate


After watching Food, Inc (a documentary that I highly recommend!), I've decided to get back on the bandwagon about eating local and in-season.

I did this last year and for a number of months this year, but I gave up my CSA and farmer's markets because of my living situation.



Now, I'm looking to move this month or next, in with my chef-hobbyist boyfriend, and I'm ready to get healthy!

Depending on my job search situation, I may or may not join a CSA right away. If I do, though, I'm going to make sure it's a local-only CSA. I have to wait until early summer for the farmer's markets to start up again, but in the meantime I will focus on buying only in-season veg at the grocery store.

For the Pacific Northwest, that means December- February I will be consuming a lot of:
Beets
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
Garlic
Dark Leafy Greens (kale, chard, spinach, etc)
Leeks
Parsnips
Potatoes
Shallots
Winter Squash
Turnips

And I'm going to do my best to hunt down and buy from the source our organic, locally-farmed Eggs, Pork, Beef, and Lamb. I know of a good butcher in the area I'm moving to, so that will really help.

After eating a lot of packaged food in an attempt to keep the vultures roommates at bay, I am looking forward to get back on primarily-veggie, 80% fresh food diet. And I'll do it myself, whether the boyfriend comes with or resists (if he resists, though, I'm ready to fuss about his health). I'm pretty sure he'll enjoy the challenge of cooking with those ingredients. :)

Goodbye, Top Ramen. Hello, local fresh ingredients!

Labels: , ,