Kale Chips

(this photo is copyright its website)

Part of my new fitness and diet plan is to eat more vegetables, but sometimes I get a little sick of salads and stir-fry. Don't get me wrong- I could eat some veggies, raw, all day long.

But dark leafy greens?

It took me 27 years to learn to enjoy the taste and texture of raw spinach, and even now I can only have s much before the leatheriness turns me off.

So I was fairly intrigued when I heard you could make faux potato chips using kale.

Below is the recipe, with my results and opinion. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Tear or cut the kale leaves away from the thick stem (what I'm pointing to in the photo above).
  3. Tear or cut the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Try to keep them as uniformly sized as possible.
  4. Arrange the kale leaves on a cookie sheet (either cover the cookie sheet with parchment paper first, or give it a light spray of Pam).
  5. Drizzle with the olive oil.
  6. Sprinkle with the seasoning salt (see photo below).
  7. Bake the leaves at 350 for 10-15 minutes, or until edges are browned (but not burnt).

And here's what I learned:
Measure the oil and salt. No, really. I didn't, and ended up with too much of both. In salt's case, WAY too much. I thought for some reason that the salt would be necessary to combat the "green" flavor. I was dead wrong! The crunch takes away the earthiness that kale normally has.

It's more on the 10 minute side than the 15 minute side. I went 10 minutes exactly and mine were a tad bit overdone, as you can see here.

These sort of disappear. I nommed half of mine in under a minute (yes, they are damned tasty), but I think it was mostly because I couldn't get over the texture. They do crunch like a potato chip, but then they instantly crumble and dissolve on your tongue. It's like...crunchy air.

They have a slight burned flavor. This is either because mine were overdone, or because that's how it is. I don't mind it at all, it's kind of like this-side-of-burned popcorn.

You could probably omit the seasoning salt and do something like onion powder, rosemary, garlic powder, basil, etc. The kale has very little flavor of its own here.

I would absolutely make these again. I think they'd be a great topper for thick, creamed soups or mashed potatoes, an innovative side dish, or an in-between snack that you could make with your kids.

Labels: ,