(this one image is copyright Wikipedia)
So I shared with you my mom's recipe for making vanilla sugar. What about vanilla extract?
It's just as easy!
(that's Crystal Skull vodka, a personal favorite)
- One vanilla bean
- 1/3 cup vodka
- One container with a tight-fitting lid
- Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise, leaving about an inch uncut, so it makes a wishbone shape.
- Put the bean in the bottom of the container.
- Cover the bean with the vodka.
- Seal the container tightly.
- Agitate the liquid by gently shaking.
- Store in a cool, dark place. Every once in a while, give it a gentle shake.
- You'll see the vodka darken as it takes the vanilla essence, and it should be ready in about 2 months.
And then, of course, you'll have to find the right cookie or brownie recipe to use that extract in!
I assume this can be done with other things, perhaps lemon peel for lemon extract, or crushed mint leaves in a sieve for mint extract....but I haven't tried this yet. Have you?
Labels: DIY, recipe