Musical Monday: Old Maid in the Garret


It's interesting to note that, even though this is definitely a woman's song, it's traditionally sung by men. Why? That's a mystery Angie and I will have to solve when we go to Ireland.

Soon, right? ;)

This is my song today because I've decided I need to stop having this mentality. The unspoken pressure to get married and start my family as soon as possible is damaging my relationship with Scotsman. I've been focusing way too much lately on comparing him to that stock prototype of my future husband and the father of my future children, instead of just enjoying the relationship as it stands right now. After all, right now is all I have.....and the more I plan for the future, the more I am inviting the gods to find/make comic fodder there.


(this is not my favorite composition/version of this song, but it'll do)

I have often heard it said from me father and me mother
That the going to a weddin' is the making of another
Well, if this be true, I will go without a biddin'
O kind providence, won't you send me to a wedding

And its O dear me, how would it be,
if I die an old maid in a garret

Well, there's my sister Jean, she's not handsome or good looking
Barely sixteen and she had a fella courtin'
Now she's twenty-four with a son and a daughter
Here am I at forty-five and I've never had an offer

And its O dear me, how would it be,
if I die an old maid in a garret


I can cook and I can sew and I can keep the house right tidy
Rise up in the morning and get the breakfast ready
There's nothing in this wide world would make me half so cheery
As a wee fat man who would call me his own deary

And its O dear me, how would it be,
if I die an old maid in a garret


So come landsman or come kinsman, come tinker or come tailor
Come fiddler or come dancer, come ploughboy or come sailor
Come rich man, come poor man, come fool or come witty
Come any man at all that will marry me for pity



And its O dear me, how would it be,
if I die an old maid in a garret


Well now I'm away home 'cause there's nobody heeding
There's nobody heedin' to poor old Annie's pleadin'
I'll go away to my own wee bit garret
If I can't get a man, then I'll surely get a parrot



And its O dear me, how would it be,
if I die an old maid in a garret

Labels: