What We're Reading

What We're Reading

I had to flurry to this one, because I just finished Jacqueline Carey's Santa Olivia on Monday. Luckily, I had an entire day in Third Place Books yesterday and, naturally, bought four novels. I live strongly by that popular Erasmus quote.

So what am I reading now? Thanks to Ricki, I am entombed in Sarah Addison Allen's Garden Spells.
I'm only a few chapters in, so this post won't contain any spoilers. 

The story centers on the Waverley family and their magickal garden. According to local legend, the flowers that grow around the Waverley's apple tree contain subtle magic, so that she can make things like a rose geranium wine that causes one to relive their happiest moments. But the garden itself is only a backdrop to the drama of the Waverley family and their bizarre history.

There is an entire mythology around both the Waverley family and their garden, which Allen hints at without revealing too much. The result is that, at this point, I'm unsure whether the rumors about the properties of the garden plants are superstition, or fact. 

I'm sure of this: Tyler sounds gorgeous, Claire is utterly believable as a troubled recluse, and every character in the book sounds like someone you would encounter in a small North Carolina town. 

I cannot wait to keep reading this one, and perhaps move on to some of Allen's other books. 

Labels: