Christmas Meme

Happily stolen borrowed from The Curious Pug! Play along!


1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate, the darker the better.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
When Santa gave gifts in my family, they were always wrapped with a tag that they were from him (in my father's handwriting...hrm....curious....)

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
I change my mind on this EVERY year. I love the little white fairy lights outside, but colored lights on the tree.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? 
Yep, every chance I can. I'm an opportunist. ;)
 
5. When do you put your decorations up?
I usually wait for Dec 1st (been as late as Dec 23rd in the past), but this year I put them up the weekend after Thanksgiving to give myself some time.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
We never have a traditional Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. But we DO have a tradition of homemade Eggs Benedict with mimosas on Christmas morning (and French Breakfast Puffs on New Years morning). Those Eggs Benedict, especially with my father's Hollandaise sauce, are amazing.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? 
Instead of cookies one year, I made Santa a veggie sandwich (cut to resemble a reindeer) and some carrots for his crew. My dad, ever the intrepid one, took bites out of the sandwich and nibbled the carrots to make it look like Santa enjoyed the repast....even though my mom later assured me that he was missing the chocolate chip cookies and milk he usually got. That's the sacrifice of parenthood, right there!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I think I was around 7 or 8 years old. I got into an argument with one of my brothers, because I had heard something on the roof the night before Christmas (which I was certain must have been reindeer). My brother insisted it couldn't have been reindeer because Santa isn't real. He wasn't trying to be cruel, he was just trying to be right (and acknowledged as right), but it was still a shock. Christmas morning, waiting for my folks to get up, and he was telling me every single one of their tricks for duping me. I may have cried.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
No, and I never understood that tradition. The longer the wait, the sweeter the reward!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
We used to have a stash of Southwestern-themed ornaments (intermixed with ones we kids made, years ago), that went beautifully with my parents' house decor), and we top the tree with a hand-carved angel they bought in Germany. Last year and this year, though, I'll be making all the mishmashed ornaments for my brother's tree, as my folks' house isn't finished yet. Last year it was a LOT of baked ornaments. This year it will probably be a lot of cross-stitched ornaments, with no theme at all. I'm debating getting my own mini-tree and decorating it with Dr Who and geek-themed ornaments. :)

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? 
LOVE IT. I grew up in sunny SoCal, without snow, so it's still a new and delightful event for me.

12. Can you ice skate?
 Hahahahahahahaha! No.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
 No...it was never about the gift (or the wishlist), but always about playing with the family and spending the day cooking/eating/being goofy.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
See above. :)

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
 Kahlua Cake, but it isn't a Holiday dessert. ;)

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Now that we're all adults, it's that peace of sitting around sipping coffee while we wait for everyone to arrive so we can open our stockings. It's such a moment of love and tranquility, and usually laughter.

17. What tops your tree?
A hand-carved angel my folks bought in Germany. She's GORGEOUS. And also packed away this year, so the tree-topper is up to my bro (whose house we will have Xmas at this year). If I get my mini-tree, I'll try to find a tiny TARDIS or Firefly or Moya to top it. :D

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
I prefer giving. I tend to go overboard, and give things to EVERYONE, total strangers included. Because of our disparate incomes and desire to overgift, my family has called a truce and instituted a stocking-stoffers-only policy, with a cap of about $25 per person.

19. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? 
 Yum, in small doses, and if used to stir hot chocolate. Otherwise....too much sugar for me to take.

20. Favorite Christmas show?
They never show it any more, but the California Raisins Christmas Special. We STILL quote from the Carol of the Bells and Here We Come A'Wassailing. :)

21. Saddest Christmas Song?
I'll Be Home for Christmas always gets me a little teary. I can't imagine being away from your loved ones in this season.

22. What is your favorite Christmas song?
All of the peppy upbeat ones that have nothing to do with Christianity. ;)
(Winter Weather, Santa Baby, Baby It's Cold Outside, All I Want for Christmas, etc)

Labels: ,