Savory cupcakes. Why not?
Never having had one, or made one, I found myself constructing a recipe two nights ago. I don't often construct recipes, but when I do I have a passion to make them that is undeniable.
They came out well enough, but not as spicy of flavorful as I had hoped. So in hindsight, here's the recipe as I would try it a second time:
Corn muffin mix
Spicy tomato juice
Diced green chiles
Cheddar cheese, shredded
A ripe avocado
4 oz sour cream
Some Hatch or Cayenne chili powder
A pinch or two of salt
Teensy bit of lemon or lime juice
Shredded chicken (ideally, lime cilantro, or southwestern of some sort)
- Make up the muffin mix, substituting tomato juice for milk or water.
- Add the diced green chiles, chili powder, and cheese.
- Bake as directed.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile, mash up the avocado, mix with with the sour cream, add the salt, lemon/lime juice, and combine thoroughly.
- Pipe (or spread, whatever your tools are) the avocado "frosting" atop the cupcakes.
- Dust a teeny bit of chili powder over the frosting, if desired.
- Finally, top the cupcakes with a bit of shredded chicken.
- Enjoy, preferably warm.