Transcend and Secrets


In honor of the cover reveal for Transcend, by Christine Fonseca, I'm removing my mask. The concept is to share a secret...so here goes...


I either have something deeply, seriously wrong with my immune system, or I'm a pansy.
And I don't know which would be worse.


I've been getting sick with colds, flus, and (mostly) sinus infections every two months or so for the past 10 years. Increasingly, it's gotten worse. I've had mono, swine flu, and now a rare random joint infection. It feels, to me, like there's a domino affect and I am getting sick more and more often.


I thought it might be related to my (recently-developed) seasonal allergies, so I started allergy shots for that. But considering how long it's been going on, I suspect some sort of immune deficiency. 


And while it would be scary to confirm that, I'd rather be able to say I have the immune system of a wet dishrag than to hear my doc tell me that I'm just a whiner, and other people get sick all the time as well but don't make a big thing out of it.


I think I've always been scared of being told that it's all "in my head" because that seems like an indicator that I just can't handle life. And I LOVE life. I love MY life. I don't want to be told that I'm a weakling when it comes to life.


So there it is- I'm actually hoping for an underlying issue.
Also, you know, that it's treatable.



*Ok, my apologies- I wanted to make you smile or chuckle with this, but the gravitas of secrecy and my own recent health issues just bubbled this up to the surface.

Labels: , , , , ,