Book Review: Zombies vs. Unicorns

Synopsis According to Goodreads:
"It's a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? In this anthology, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (unicorn and zombie, respectively), strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories. Half of the stories portray the strengths--for good and evil--of unicorns and half show the good (and really, really bad-ass) side of zombies. Contributors include many bestselling teen authors, including Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfeld, and Margo Lanagan. This anthology will have everyone asking: Team Zombie or Team Unicorn?"



I LOVE Zombies vs. Unicorns. I have purchased copies and sent them to friends! I thought I was Team Zombie, but now I'm just Team Everyone Who Contribute To This Book.


Here you will find stories that make you think, make you laugh, make you gasp, make you cry, and draw you in completely. I can think of two stories in the entire collection that were not compelling. The rest were amazingly well written. I am now a huge fan of most of these authors, directly as a result of their contributing stories in this.


I think I could have done without the podcast-esque commentary introductions by the team captains, especially after the first few snarky ones, but that's really the only negative point about this. I'm not generally a fan of short stories, but I actually re-read a handful of the ones in here. Highly recommend this for everyone who enjoys the supernatural/what-if genre, both the fantasy side and the dystopian side!


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,