Candied, that is. Pecans to be specific.
So I ran across this recipe while trolling Pinterest and thought I'd give it a go.
- 16 oz (1 large bag) pecans (or walnut halves, if so inclined)
- 1/2 cut unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Turn slow cooker to HIGH about 15 minutes in advance.
2. In pre-heated slow cooker, stir together the nuts and butter.
3. Add the powdered sugar, stirring to blend and coat evenly.
4. Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat to LOW and remove lid; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 3 hours or so, or until the nuts are coated with a crisp glaze.
6. Transfer the nuts to a bowl.
7. In another small bowl, combine the spices; sift over the nuts, stirring to coat evenly.
8. Let cool before serving.
These came out tasty (I inhaled my portion), though more glazed than having a hard caramelized shell. They would be excellent for a circus-themed party or wedding, as they're super easy to make and can be done in larger batches.
Labels: candied pecans, creating my own yum, dessert, food, recipe, snack