DIY Body Butter


As someone with chronically dry skin and a dislike of heavily-scented lotions, I've been wanting to make my own moisturizer for a while. Thank goodness for interest! I was inspired by this recipe here. I made a few changes, based on what I had on hand. Note that you can use any essential oil (I chose Sweet Orange, because it's a happy scent) and you can use (or not) a food-safe/skin-safe coloring agent...but only in small quantity, or the recipe becomes too liquid.


Ingredients:


  1. Place the coconut oil and cornstarch in a glass container.
  2. Place the glass container in a pan of simmer water, double-broiler style, until the coconut oil is melted.
  3. Whisk the ingredients together until thoroughly combined, and let them cool to room temperature.
  4. Add the essential oil (and any applicable skin-safe coloring agent) and whisk until fluffy/looks like frosting.
  5. Spoon the cooled/fluffy mixture into a container.
  6. Keep the body butter around 70 degrees or less (you may have to refrigerate it) and use within 3 months or so.

You can use body butter on any body part that needs moisture, though I prefer it on my legs (it's an oil-based moisturizer, so it may make your hands slick, but it absorbs relatively quickly!)

Labels: , , , , , ,