Costume Review: Star Trek TNG


Thanks in large part to Fashion It So, I've had a resurgence of Star Trek: The Next Generation fandomness. I freely admit to having a huge crush on Wesley Crusher when I was wee; given how awesome Wil Wheaton is, I don't feel ashamed.
(If you need to, you can learn all about Star Trek before continuing...)


When AnytimeCostumes said they were having a review opportunity for a Star Trek costume, I jumped on it. I was given the opportunity to choose my desired costume from these possibilities:


As you can see, there's both classic Trek and TNG choices. I initially wanted to go with the blue classic dress BUT they don't offer larger than a size 10. I suspect that's a manufacturer issue, but it was disappointing all the same. The shirts, it should be noted, are mens' sizes and cut. So I guess average-and-plus-sized women are just S.O.L.

I was determined to make it work, though, so I chose the red TNG shirt in a size Large.
Aside from a nick in the communicator pin and a sleeve error (see below), the top was nicely constructed. It's polyester, but not too thin or see-through. The collar piping was good, and it zips completely up the back (excellent if you're costuming as, say, Worf, and don't want to pull something over your head and risk damaging your SFX makeup)

My favorite part were the collar pips! They have a handy guide for the placement and color (4 gold, 1 black) of pips for the major characters in TNG, DS9, and Voyager. Versatility!

Here's the sleeve issue. My left sleeve was fine, but my right sleeve had this area where the blacks don't line up. It's not that the sleeve is canted (the back DOES line up, just not the front), it's that someone made an error when constructing the sleeve. Given that my other sleeve is OK, I assume this is one of those rare flubs.

The fit of the top was actually too big for me! I hid my arms because the sleeves extend past my finger tips. This means it fit my bust, but because it's cut for a man my bust ruins the line of the garment. I was not expecting it to be that large (though nice that the collar is so loose), so I think the sizing is generous for these costumes.


Overall, this is a good costume for a man and I definitely appreciate that the communicator pin and pips can be removed and applied to other costumes. Or shirts, if you just want to wave the geek flag.
Would I wear it to a convention, where my entire worth as a person will be judged based on my costume? No.
Would I wear it to a Halloween party hosted by Trekkies? Yes.




I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Labels: , , , , ,