Easy Pear Chutney

I have a confession to make:
I really dislike pears.

They're fine in clafoutis, or cake, or as pear butter, but on their own? Ick.

So when I got my CSA box and it was filled with pears, I had a challenge before me. Thankfully, my mom reminded me about pear chutney!

For those that have never had a chutney, it's a sauce that works really well atop meat (pork chops, in this case) and rice. Chutney is sweet and vinegary and spiced, and you can add many things to it. It's an excellent warming type of thing to add to a meal.

Ingredients:




  1. Combine all ingredients in a pot.
  2. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
  3. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 1.5 hours.
  4. Spread atop meat (pork, turkey, lamb, etc) and/or over rice.


See? Told you it was easy. It also keeps for 2 weeks or so, and can be frozen for later use.

Labels: , , , , ,