Going Red with Light Mountain


Have I mentioned before that Fedora has a weakness for redheads? He insists that I have auburn hair naturally (I think it's golden brown), but every now and again I like to surprise him by going more reddish.


Unfortunately, it's hard to find a hair dye that's light on the chemicals. I have naturally curly hair, which means it's naturally dry, and any added stripping chemicals will really frizz it out. Plus, most hair dyes contain ammonia (yeah, that's that smell), which weakens hair follicles and causes breakage. I want color without compromising my hair's health!


And, of course, many contain petroleum or tar-based products, which means more resource-process, more waste, more strain on the environment. (And, some argue, carcinogens)



So I was excited to try Light Mountain Natural Hair Color. It's a plant-based henna dye process, sans peroxide or stripping chemicals. Just add water, apply, and rinse out. It's slated to be semi-permanent (to last about 6 weeks). Their hair dyes are cruelty-free, organic, and vegan certified.



So of course I choose the Cheetah (Auburn), but they have many options available (from black, to reds, burgundy, and browns...and grey-covering shades).


The henna powder is green...

My "before" shot

Super easy to mix- just add hot water and let sit to process (either 10 min, or an hour)

Yeah, it looks like spa mud. And smells like pea soup. But at least it's not nose-burning ammonia!

It was the consistency of Greek yogurt, with some grittiness, but the 'spa mud' analogy fit well. I applied with my hands, thickly. I don't think I got everything fully covered...but then, I never do, when I'm dye-ing unassisted.

I let it process for an hour. This is NOT a quick-dye process. I could have sat with it for longer, but I was impatient. The rinsing took a heckuva long time, as well. Be prepared to need moisturizing conditioner as you work this mud out of your hair!


On the plus side, as you can see it made my locks super-curly.
It also definitely gave me naturally-looking auburn hair. The brown still looks reddish-brown, and the blond parts look more ruddy now, but it didn't give me a fake universal-color look.
This is actually the most natural hair color I've achieved from a dye job ever.
Yay!






I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Labels: , , , ,