Literary Friday: Clockwork Princess

Synopsis according to Goodreads:
"A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.
"


Clockwork Princess is the final book in Clare's Victorian/Supernatural trilogy, The Infernal Devices. It had been months between my reading book #2 and this one, so I was a little less emotionally unvested than I otherwise would have been. However, Clare still managed to pull the heartstrings.


This book is less action-packed than the first two, but slightly creepier. It seemed a good conclusion to the series, to me.....in fact, my minor complaints about it mainly center around the fact that it's TOO good of a conclusion. The ending is nicely wrapped up, and everyone gets what they deserve. Call me jaded, but I prefer some unanswered questions, and a bit of bitter with my sweet.


My only other complain is: why don't we get to learn more about Bridget??! Seriously, Clare, give her a book. We love Sophie, we liked Cyril (and his brother)...but Bridget is this interesting mix of macabre and kick-ass and red hair and I want to know all about her.


Otherwise, I thought Clockwork Princess worked well as an ending and was content to finish it and put it aside.
I admit that The Infernal Devices did not stay with me in the ways that The Mortal Instruments did, but I find Clare's novels to be universally engaging, fun to read, and deliciously detailed.


I recommend this for anyone who has read the first two books in the series, anyone who enjoyed The Mortal Instruments, fans of Victorian London and the supernatural, and those who enjoy love triangles. But please, start at the beginning of the series!

(and because I read this primarily on the bus during my commute, here's my reaction in visuals)
and
then
and
then
and
then

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,