A to Z

Thanks to the Book Rat for this distraction!

Author you’ve read the most books from:
That'd be Piers Anthony. I believe it- he was my go-to author for the first 16 years of my life.

Best Sequel Ever:
The Ask and the Answer, by Patrick Ness. It took the series in a different, more potent, direction. And made me cry. A lot.


Currently Reading:
I'm behind on posting reviews, so right now it's Palimpsest, by Catherynne M Valente, and Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show, by Frank Delaney.

Drink of Choice While Reading:
Water, usually. Or coffee. Or tea. I tend to get so focused on the reading that drinking doesn't happen.
(nerd mug shot)

E-reader or Physical Book?
Physical book, all the way. Preferably a nice, used paperback.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:
Simon, from The Mortal Instruments series. Although "dated" is awfully optimistic, as the boys in high school found me too....intimidating? uncool? chubby? So mostly I crushed and dreamed, and they befriended me, and that was the extent of it.

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I thought it was some pseudo-spiritual BS...and I was so, so wrong. Thankfully. It's one of my most favorite books, and has inspired an entire chapter of my life.

Hidden Gem Book:
The Cradle of the Deep, by Loan Lowell. It turns out to be totally fictional, but it's still a heck of an adventure and it definitely inspired me in my youth.

Important Moment in your Reading Life:
When I was about 13, my eldest brother read me The Taming of the Shrew, with translation into modern English. It fostered in me a love of snappy dialogue, as well as Shakespeare, plays, and history in general.

Just Finished:
The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller.


Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:
I try to be open-minded about books, but I do not read religious fiction (sorry, I get super defensive about even mildly-preachy stuff), erotica (I have little patience for smut, due to a sordid past), and self-help books (I have an innate distrust of strangers who assert authority patronizingly). 

Longest Book You’ve Read:
War and Peace. No wait, A Tale of Two Cities. Or was it The Silmarillion? That definitely felt like the longest book ever. 

Major book hangover because of:
I don't let myself mope over a book for more than a day. It doesn't feel healthy. 

Number of Bookcases You Own:
Just one! I had to downgrade the last time I was laid off (and had 5 book cases, filled). Of course, it's full and then some, but I'm trying to blaze a reading trail through them. An empty shelf, that's my goal.


One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:
Jane Eyre. Every few years I re-read it, and get something new from it. I really, really admire Jane.

Preferred Place To Read:
The couch. I like reading in bed, but it makes me sleepy.

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:
Uhm....N/A. I have no memory space for quotes. And words, in my experience, are too easily manipulated to take inspiration from. I prefer actions. And characters.

Reading Regret:
I no longer force myself to finish books that piss me off, so (thankfully) I don't regret any books. The last time I forced myself to finish one, and hated it, was Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone (when I was 14).

Series You Started And Need To Finish(all books are out in series):
Oh, sheesh. Divergent Series (beyond book 1), Promethean Age (beyond book 1), Flavia de Luce (beyond book 1), The Goddess Test (beyond book 1), Necromancer Chronicles (beyond book 2), Mistress of the Art of Death (beyond book 2), Wideacre Trilogy (beyond book 1), The Inheritance Trilogy (beyond book 1), Deverry Series (beyond book 3), Theatre Illuminata (beyond book 1)...just to name a few.


Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:
Jane Eyre; Animal, Vegetable, Miracle; Warm Bodies
(here's the true truth: I can't pick just 3.)

Unapologetic Fangirl For:
Good fairytale retellings, well-developed characters who eschew traditional gender roles, and world building that sucks me in and shakes me about a bit.

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:
Another N/A. I never buy books new (I'm broke- I get them gifted, or from the library, or buy them used) so I don't generally have my eyes on them. That's why I have so many unread series up there.

Worst Bookish Habit:
I'm sure I lose cool points for not being on-trend with books. And refusing to get an e-reader. And for not keeping books after I've read them (I give them to friends, or the library). 

Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:
Sacred Hearts, by Sarah Dunant (counting front to back, since my shelves are mostly double-stacked now).

Your latest book purchase:
For my Books 'n' Bloggers swap partner, Kristina.

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):
The Forest of Hands & Teeth. I stayed up all night to read it! And then every noise I heard while reading was, obviously, an Unconsecrated.

Labels: ,