Oaty Bread

A few weeks ago, I had a sudden hankering for steel cut oats.
Which I then forgot to use.
So when I came across this recipe for oat sourdough bread, I was all over it.

Ingredients:
2 cups sourdough starter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
2 Tblsp brown sugar
2 cups steel cut or rolled oats
4 cups flour

1. Feed your sourdough starter.

2. Mix in water, milk, salt, brown sugar, and oats.

3. Mix in half the flour.

4. Knead in the rest of the flour.

5. Let the dough rise for 12 hours.

6. Shape it into a loaf, put it in a loaf pan, and let it rise for 2-4 hours.


7. Put it in a cold oven, close the door, then turn the oven to 375 degrees and set your timer for 70 minutes.


8. Let cool in the pan (on a rack) for 10 minutes before transferring loaf to a wire rack to cool completely.


This is a great breakfast bread (although you can see from mine that it's rather dense). It's chewy and loaded with fiber.


and since I'm a Firefly geek of the first order...

Labels: , ,