Pine Bros Softish Throat Drops is My New Candy

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.

Cough drops, and hard lozenges, generally taste like donkey (did I mention I hate the taste of menthol? and camphor? and licorice?). The falsely-flavored ones are the worst. Overly-sugary cough-medicine cherry flavor layered over the kind of mint that feels like you've inhaled petroleum is NOT my idea of a treatment.


So I was wary of Pine Bros. Even though they've been in business since 1870, started by a German confectioner. The company history is a storied one, with many sales and resales, and a gradual decline in sales and product until it was purchased by 3 Sisters Home Products in 2011. Now it's enjoying a resurgence, and I'm enjoying a treat that lies somewhere between sore throat cure and tasty treat.


I tried their Wild Cherry, because of my skepticism. I was surprised that it tastes like a bing cherry, not overly-sugary or chemically at all. Now I want to try their Natural Honey flavor! These have zero nasty menthol- just glycerin and some sugar, and natural flavorings. Yay!

You can see from the size they aren't too large, but large enough to last some time in your mouth, dissolving slowly.


Although they are called 'softish', I found them more on the side of chewy-candy-that-has-aged than soft. With time and a little effort, you can easily chew them like a gummy, but they also hold up well to being sucked on.

So they get a thumbs up for efficacy, flavor, and consistency. I will definitely be buying more of these in the future (especially the Honey flavor, and the Cherry again). They come in bags, and little tins, which makes them great for portability.

These would be excellent for singers, actors, and heavy talkers! They definitely do the trick when I'm on a 9-hour bartending shift. Thanks, Pine Bros!


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Labels: ,