No-Knead Sourdough Bread

I love kneading bread- the squishy feel of it, the sense of accomplishment, the knowledge that I've expended calories...all of these are pleasurable. But sometimes my arthritis acts up and I just can't knead.

Thankfully, that doesn't stop me from my weekly bread making!

Ingredients:
1 cup fed sourdough starter
1 cup water
3 1/2 cups white flour (unbleached is best)
1 1/2 tsp salt

1. Combine starter and water and mix well.

2. In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt and stir together.

3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until a shaggy dough forms.

4. Cover and proof for 12 hours.

5. Pry it out of the bowl onto a floured surface and let it rest for 30 minutes.

6. Transfer it to a bread pan and proof for 4 hours*.

7. Remove the water pan, close the oven door, and turn it to 375 degrees.

8. Bake at 375 degrees for 70 minutes (counting from the moment you turn the oven on).

9. Let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan, on a wire rack, before popping out of the pan to finish cooling on the wire rack.


* I proof bread by putting it in the oven, putting a shallow pan on the tray underneath it, and filling that shallow pan about 1/2" deep with boiling water from the kettle, then shutting the oven door...this keeps it a consistent temp, and keeps it from drying out.

Labels: , , , ,