Rumiano Organic Non-GMO Cheese Review

There are perks to being (among other things) a review blogger. Sometimes it's free supplements or baking supplies, sometimes it's learning things, and sometimes it's cheese.


Rumiano, the oldest family-owned cheese company in my home state of California, sent me three coupons to try three of their new Organic Non-GMO cheeses. This cheese comes from humanely-treated, pasture-raised cows. So I was eager to nom.

Here's how it went down....

Mozzarella.
Well, I normally find this flavorless and salty, but let's give it a shot. Hrm. There's some flavor there, about what I'd expect. Not as salty as I usually find it, though, thankfully. Just not much going on here. It melts, but it's just sort of plain and functional.



Pepper Jack. I usually enjoy the zest this flavor brings. Rumiano's, however, tasted like mozzarella.
Okay, maybe if I eat a pepper bit straight up...hrmm...nope. No flavor whatsoever. This is melty, less-tasty mozzarella. Odd.



Sharp Cheddar. I'm always up for some sharp cheddar. AND WHAT THE HELL IS THIS??! The consistency of string cheese and the flavor of plastic. I got a second opinion on this- it tastes like plastic. This is one of the worst cheeses I've ever put in my mouth. This might not even BE cheese. Are they sure this is cheese?


So overall, not really worth the price tag. Unfortunately.
Even the sense of smug satisfaction at consuming something nominally good for me (er, less toxic?) wasn't enough to overcome the mediocrity of these cheeses. I needed an entire bottle of beer to get the taste of their Sharp Plastic Cheddar out of my mouth.


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Labels: ,