Humpday Confessions: It's Austen Time!

FRIDAY CONFESSIONAL at HIGH-HEELED LOVEVodka and Soda

I confess...
In honor of Book Rat's Austen in August awesomeness, this is gonna be a Jane Austen-related confessional. (which means my first confession is that I'm a total lit-nerd)


I confess....
I have never read Persuasion.
I KNOW. I will, someday- I promise.


I confess...
Henry Tilney is 10 times more my ideal man than William Darcy.


I confess...
I've always thought of myself as a Catherine Morland/Emma Woodhouse kind of gal. I realize that's not very flattering, but I guess I'm just a meddler.


I confess...
While I would be a very different woman under the rules and expectations of Regency society, I would rock the fashion.


I confess...
What charms me about Austen's works is not the setting, or modern romanticized interpretation of the culture- it's the flaws of the characters. Austen writes flaws beautifully, even when she's being sharply satyrical.

But this is why a lot of modern adaptations strike me as wish-fulfilment fanfic (not all of them). I really don't want to read about Elizabeth and Darcy again and again and again (which is usually just a rehashing of one opposites-attract romance trope), unless it's the source material (which also fleshes out the side characters and tells a complete story, of which romance is only one facet).

Labels: , ,