Halloween & Gross Food

HAPPY ALL HOLLOWS, LOVELIES!

I made this for my D&D group, as we run a special Halloween horror game this time each year:



For the Meatloaf Mummy Heads, I followed my meatloaf recipe, but shaped the loaves roughly into a skull shape. Then I cut a raw white onion into roughly eye socket and teeth shapes and pressed them in. Then I draped some bacon strips as wrappings (warning: these may stiffen during the baking process). I baked at 350 for 45 minutes and served them with ketchup and Sriracha "blood".




The Spinach Skulls were for my vegetarian friends, and made by mixing a bag of frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed dry) with 4 eggs and a cup or so of shredded mozzarella cheese. I tossed some garlic salt in, but you can use any seasoning. I divided it into 4 skull shapes, indenting the eye sockets, which I filled with sesame seeds, and pressing onion teeth in. I then baked at 350 for 12 minutes.




The Eyeballs are store-bought mozzarella balls with divets cut into them. I halved tiny green olives (with pimentos) and placed them into the divets. Then I nestled each ball into a strip of prosciutto.



Lastly, the "cave in" dessert was a reference to the fact that our Halloween game characters were a mining rescue group sent to the Mponeng Mine in South Africa after a cave in trapped some miners (and awakened an ancient evil, natch).

This is a pan of brownies, deliberately allowed to go stale (by baking 3 days in advance and not covering them), then crumbed. I tossed them with chocolate rocks and shoved in homemade Autumn Brittle (which turned out sticky like toffee, as I don't have a candy thermometer and had to guess at 'soft ball stage') as the chunks of mined gold.

For those curious, the Autumn Brittle is like Peanut Brittle, only I substituted pumpkin-spice-flavored pumpkin seeds for the nuts, and added a dash of cinnamon to the corn syrup.


And this, my friends, is what the holiday is all about: themed, disgusting-looking, delicious food.

Labels: , ,