By now you know that Fedora and I are Harry Potter nuts. He's a total Gryffindor, and I'm Ravenclaw through and through. Even though we're too old to have grown up with the books and movies, there's a special place in our hearts for the stories, the characters, the sacrifices, and the legacy. And, of course, WWoHP is where he proposed to me.
So, naturally, I jumped at the chance to review this Harry Potter Time Turner Twin Necklace Set from Graceful Goods (which I received for free via Tomoson, in exchange for my honest review). There are many time turners and Deathly Hallows pendants for sale on the web, but this set stands out because:
- Both together are only $16.99 (plus shipping)
- They come in a silver option, as well as a gold one
- The Time Turner spins, with the hourglass being fully functional (though it doesn't wind up)
- The Time Turner has the accurate words inscribed on the edges of the rings
- The Deathly Hallows "resurrection stone" circle turns
- They are lightweight, though feel like metal (not plastic)
- The Time Turner chain is long enough to tuck into your shirt front, as Hermoine does
- The closure on each necklace is easy to operate (a lobster clasp on the Deathly Hallows, a circle-and-bar on the Time Turner)
- They're unisex in design
- The gold plating looks more like gold paint, so I am cautious about scratching or dinging either of these.
- The lobster clasp on the Deathly Hallows is cheap- it has no spring action, so I have to manually lever it closed (UPDATE: The lever busted off completely after 2 times wearing it, so I have to manually replace it- thank goodness I have spares on hand).
- The Deathly Hallows "invisibility cloak" triangle is more acute than the official one from the movies.
For costuming purposes, these are perfect. Whether you're going for a replica of an outfit from the movies or books, or one set within that world, these will do the purpose nicely.
They're also great as a general piece of geekdom (great way to spot other geeks, as they'll exclaim over or grin wildly at your jewelry when they see it). Fedora has claimed the Deathly Hallows already, and I the Time Turner....and no one is surprised!
I look forward to posting a photo of us wearing them the next time we go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!
Labels: harry potter, jewelry, product review