Book Review: The Maze Runner

Synopsis according to Goodreads:
"When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone. Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive. Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying."


So in an effort to break out of trilogies, I listened to the audiobook of The Maze Runner. Whoops! Turns out, it's a trilogy. Can we be done with trilogy obsession, please? I get the feeling this one could probably be two books and do just fine. *ahem* Anyway, that rant aside:

The Maze Runner was a decent YA adventure story. It's not very deep (though there's plenty of mystery) and the hero just 'gets' things without much effort (though he's apparently the only kid amid 25 that has the kind of compassionate honor that would lead one to try and save others). The plot is very much driven by the action, which is very much a summer blockbuster kind of thing. So I imagine the movie fits well with the story.

The audiobook narrator did a good job handling different voices, accents, and cadences, which I appreciated. I suppose my biggest impression of it was 'meh', because I didn't feel invested in any of the characters. Except maybe Newt, who is clearly awesome and haunted and we know virtually nothing about.

In the great tradition of YA dystopian, the ending is a cliffhanger and presumably the second book begins the day after the first one ends. I'll read it mostly because I want to see if there's a maze scenario that's all-female and how that differed. But I don't feel terribly compelled.

In all, I'd recommend it for anyone wanting a YA action novel, the kind of easy summer read that you can blitz through in a week and then move on from easily. Or anyone who liked the premise of Lord of the Flies (just don't expect the same thing here).

Labels: , , , , , , ,