Spanish Quinoa with Chickpeas


I was in the mood for something a wee bit spicy, with this prolonged heat wave.
And although we're drowning in rice (since I'm back on the Nothing Tasty Ever Again diet, thanks to broken genes and a bad tummy), I wasn't in the mood for rice.

Enter Quinoa.

Do I need to go on (and on) again about how I love Viva Labs? Their quinoa is no exception: non-GMO, gluten-free, organic, sustainably grown, fair trade PLUS it's a super food.
You can get it here.

And I recommend that you do, because it's chewy, a little nutty, and pretty much goes with everything. It's high in fiber and amino acids and protein.
So high in protein, in fact, I didn't need to add the chickpeas into this dish (but I did, because Overkill is my middle name).



This recipe is super simple to make! It yields enough for 4 people, even as a main dish.


You will need:




1. Bring water to a boil and add quinoa, according to package directions.


2. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking it for 15 minutes.


3. Saute minced garlic in oil for a few minutes, until fragrant


4. Add all spices and stir until coated.


5. Add diced onions and salute for about 5 minutes, until soft.





6. Add canned tomatoes and chickpeas (and artichoke hearts, if desired) and stir to combine.


7. Cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes.


8. Add the cooked quinoa and stir to mix. If it's too wet, you can uncover and continue the simmer, stirring occasionally, to evaporate the liquid a bit.


9. Voila! It's messy but it's tasty (and filling, and good for you).

Labels: , , , ,