Ava Anderson Non-Toxic Mascara


Thanks for Candace at Candace's Book Blog, I was introduced to Ava Anderson, a non-toxic makeup company. As the owner of Printcess mineral eye shadow, I'm dedicated to providing the products I value most: effective makeup with natural ingredients, no testing on animals, and as reduced a carbon footprint as possible.


Why? Because your skin is the largest organ in your body. If you're mindful of consuming things that don't damage your liver, stomach, etc., why wouldn't you be equally mindful of the things being absorbed into your system through your pores, eyes, lips, etc?



But one of the things I've had a difficult time finding is natural mascara. I've tried brands before that clumped like crazy, flaked off during the day (and my undereyes are too shadowed as it is- flaked black mascara makes me look like a zombie!), or irritated my eyes (I'm looking at you, Physician's Formula).


Candace, who shares my dedication to all-natural makeup, offered me the avaFACE mascara to try and review here. And I'm so glad she did! I admit, I was skeptical. But this stuff is amazing!


The ingredients list is: 
aloe barbadensis leaf juice extract (organic aloe vera), cetyl esters wax (vegetable based wax), vegetable glycerin, glyceryl stearate (organic palm oil), iron oxide (filtered 77499) (mineral based colorant), mica (77019) (mineral based colorant), non nano particle titanium dioxide (77891) (mineral based colorant), citrus sinensis (orange) oil, cymbopogon flexuosus (lemon grass) oil, sesamum indicium (sesame) seed oil 

That's all products I understand, and nothing I have issues with putting on my skin!

It also doesn't have a chemical smell at all. I see lemongrass and orange oils, but I didn't smell anything when I used the mascara, nor after I'd applied it.


The wand is a pretty standard multi-bristle brush. I'm used to seeing all sorts of funky mascara brush designs, so I was unimpressed with this wand. But it really distributes the mascara evenly and fully. 
The mascara itself it so thin that I could only tell it was on the brush because I saw the difference in darkness on my lashes. It didn't run into my eyes, and it didn't clump at all. It didn't clump even after three separate applications to my lashes! It also lasted all day and didn't flake off. It removed easily with my usual makeup remover (coconut oil, rubbed on and then wiped off with a soft cloth) at the end of the day. Plus, with those ingredients, it's actually conditioning my eyelashes, keeping them moisturized and healthy so they can grow long and thick.


I have to say, I'm super impressed with this mascara, and will definitely be buying more. This isn't a mascara that will take your eyes from plain to va-va-va-voom in an application (usually achieved by using polymer and parabens), but it's safer, healthier, and just as effective at darkening your lashes....without the bad side effects!


It retails for $17.95 (compare that to $9.95 for Physician's Formula Organic Mascara, which irritates my eyes and flakes; $22 for Josie Maran GOGO Argan Mascara; $20 for Lavera Natural Mascara; $24.25 for Couleur Caramel Natural Mascara; $34 for Organic Glam Natural Mascara- all of which claim to be "natural" but contain harmful-to-the-eyes ingredients like alcohol, parabens, silica, etc.)
(and they offer more than just beauty products!)


If you're interested in purchasing some Ava Anderson products for yourself, there is a sale for August: the avaSKIN hyaluronic acid is FREE with a $95* or more order. This lightweight serum is your answer to supple, firmer, and more radiant skin tone.

*Before shipping and tax.

Labels: , , , , , ,